Friday, May 21, 2010

One Year Ago

This last weekend I traveled over three passes, 478 miles, and two potty breaks to get back to my beloved college town, Missoula, MT. It was graduation weekend from the University of Montana. I roommate for all of college, and great friend Adria was graduating from grad school with a masters in accounting, and I really wanted to be there to support her. Plus, I knew a bunch of us "class of '09er's" would be there two.


So I loaded up Cindy, who has turned out to be quite the road tripper and headed east. 7 looooong hours later I was there. The beautiful town of Missoula is settled in the Bitterroot Valley and was buzzing with excitement for the weekend's activities.


The weather was beautiful, 80's and sunny. I couldn't have asked for a nicer get-away from the 50s and overcast that was Seattle that weekend. I attended commencement, graduation parties, barbecues, ate at all the "Missoula" places I loved, and of course painted the town red at night.


It occurred to me while listening the annoucer read off names, that it had been a whole year since I was in the cap and gown, excited and nervous about my future. These past 12 months have flown by. So much has changed in my life in one year, I live in a big city, I have two jobs that I love, I am "on my own" in a sense. However, I still feel a little like that careless Senior in college, hanging out with friends, weekend trips, cutting rugs at bars. It is a weird transition phase that I am in right now. I don't mind it though. Much similar to a song I know, Britney Spears "I'm not a girl not yet a women" (yeah, I just quoted BS, don't judge).


With that in mind, I am going to continue what I do and enjoy being a 23 year old, single, recent college graduate. I have plenty of time to "become a woman", but the way these years are flying by, it may happen tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment