Saturday, June 20, 2009

Goodbye Apartment

This Wednesday was the day I had to move out of my college apartment. I had moved into this apartment my sophomore year and stayed there till just now, totaling a whapping three years residence. The apartment was in the University’s family housing. As misleading as this is, I do not have a family. The apartment complex is losing money if they don’t feel all of their units, so they give them to families who are in college first, then fill the rest with students who are on a waiting list, which was the case for me and my roomies. The reason why I wanted to live there so badly was because I had a scholarship that covered University housing. Basically it boiled down to dorms or here to keep my scholarship. I was able to talk two of my girlfriends into living in this apartment with me. It worked out well for them because rent was by far the cheapest you can find in Missoula. I lived there with dorm roommate, Adria for all three years, good friend Melana for 1.5 years (she had to move out because her nursing program transferred her to Billings, MT) and then my friend Randi moved in.

Packing was the most unpleasant experience in my life. I was the last one to move out, which has its pro’s and con’s. Good thing is I have all the space I need to put boxes and organize things. Bad thing is anything that things in the house that the others didn’t want or was used communiually, were left for me to shift through (which is just more than I wanted to do).  I never realized how much shi… uh, crap I have. I guess the longer you live somewhere the more you accumulate. Took me two whole days of non-stop packing to get everything boxed up. The fact that I am a very organized packer probably added to the lengthy time. Labels on everything!

My dad and grandpa came up early Wednesday to help me load all my stuff. They had to bring a trailer to get all my stuff. We needed a pickup bed and a trailer for one person’s stuff (good work pack rat Erin). My big strong friend Brandon came over and helped my dad do some of the heavy lifting. I paid him with a beer, a pretty typical college kid payment. Once I was loaded, the family took off and I was left to clean the apartment with Adria. We busted through the cleaning pretty fast. When it was time to lock up and turn in the keys, I got a little emotional. Most of my college was spent living in that apartment. So many memories are within those walls. I will miss you 936 Rimini Court!

1 comment: