Monday, July 27, 2009

The Bachelorette Finale

Warning - FINALE SPOILER (If you for some reason haven't watched it yet).

I have a confession to make. I am completely and utterly addicted to a television show. I sold my soul to ABC’s The Bachelorette (and The Bachelor). Tonight was the season finale, which I have been counting down the weeks till this night for months now.

For those of you not familiar with the show, the pick a Bachelorette (or Bachelor) and then eligible men for her to pick from and in the end hopefully get purposed to. Sounds unrealistic and cheesy, but I’m hopelessly devoted to this show.

Tonight Jillian (the bachelorette) had the competition narrowed down to her top two men. Ed and Kiptyn. On a very romantic set in Hawaii, she had to go out on absolutely beautiful dates with both men and the end of the episode pick the one that she wanted to marry, sounds tough right?

After sadly telling Kiptyn that she did not want to be with him, Jillian was then surprised by Reid the man that she let go last episode (i.e. third place). He came back to tell her how stupid he was for not letting her know how much he loved her when he had the chance. I was heartbroken when after he purposed to her, she still had to say no luck and send him away AGAIN. I was a real big fan of Reid.

Finally Ed arrived and she had decided to accept his proposal for marriage! It showed the two “happily in love” and then roll credits.

Now, here are my thoughts on the show… I love the idea that this is real, but there is no way the situation that they put these people into is real life at all. I think that the feeling that they develop are real, but the situation of falling in love and marrying someone in a matter of two months, all while dating other guys at the same time is just unrealistic. Plus all these dates that they go on are what normal people have to work years in advance to go on. However, I would gladly accept an invitation to be the next Bachelorette (if you are reading this ABC).

With the right setting, the right amount of alcohol, and the competitive drive anyone can fall in love. I do wish the best for them though, don’t get me wrong. Do I think they’ll last, eh… no. But prove this naysayer wrong please. I also feel that the show is genuine in its efforts to find the Bachelor or Bachelorette their true love.

For those of you out there that also share this obsession, your thoughts please!

4 comments:

  1. I was SO excited for the finale to! I was really hoping that she picked Ed, although she had me thinking she was going to pick Kiptyn at first. I think if any of them had a "real life" experience, it was her and Ed. They actually had some ups and downs that could be expected in a normal relationship... So I am hoping that tonights After the Final Rose show proves me right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you know I'm a total addict as well. I feel the same way you do about the realistic aspect of the show. Did you watch after the final rose?? Reid is still heartbroken. Jill and Ed did seem in love, but we'll see what time brings. Who knows, maybe they'll get married on primetime like Trista and Ryan....

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i'm laura, im 21 and i'm also an addict to the show! i think these two might actually stay together forever, but i just don't understand how you can be seriously dating 2 guys and 24 hours later, only love 1 of them and want to marry them!?! who, in real life, does that? i also wish they would let the bachelorette screen the guys before they even show up, some of them were obviously a horrible fit... the other thing that bothers me is that they say they are getting married in 12-18 months! if you're gonna get married, do it now, however long it takes to plan the wedding. no reason to wait so long, seems to silly to me! (doug and i were six weeks engaged to married- haha!) don't worry though, i'll still be watching the bachelor this fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am addicted as well to this show. I thought she was going to pick kiptyn also and I wanted her to pick Ed. In any relationship when a couple goes to romantic vacation spots etc (like the places that the entire show is filmed in) the romantic atomosphere and feelings are at an all time high. It's one of the reasons couples go on these kind of vacations to get away from real life and all it's craziness. I think that Ed and Jill had real life ups and downs. This making their relationship stronger and understanding of each other and what they truly want stronger. I think they will last like trista and ryan. I lOVE hearing people lasting for all eternity. It's amazing! I think they should get married now also. Why wait? Anyways I am excited for the next show.

    ReplyDelete